Livestock Trailer carrying 69 Cows Engulfed In Flames
Truck Driver Charged With Shocking Multiple Offences
(PERTH EAST, ON) - On October 3, 2022, at approximately 10:46 p.m., Perth County Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) received a report of a livestock trailer engulfed in flames travelling on Perth Road 107 in the Township of Perth East.
The trailer was hauling 69 cows, two suffered severe burn wounds, two were deceased. Approximately 35 cows were freed from the trailer.
As a result, a 41-year-old resident of Norwich was arrested and charged with:
- Causing damage or injury to animal or birds while being driven/conveyed
- Obstruct Peace Officer
- Operate unsafe vehicle- commercial motor vehicle (two counts)
- Operate a motor vehicle without insurance
- Fail to surrender CVOR certificate
- Fail to surrender completed daily inspection report
- Fail to surrender permit for motor vehicle
- Driver fail to surrender licence
Anyone with information regarding this or any incident is asked to call the OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or online at www.opp.ca/reporting. Should you wish to remain anonymous you can call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or leave an anonymous online message at www.P3tips.com where you may be eligible to receive a cash reward of up to $2,000.